Growing Guides

#1
With the eventual legalization, I have gotten very interested in growing a few plants in my basement. Im completely lost on the process and what components I am going to need. Does anyone have a newbie friendly grow guide and/or equipment list?

Re: Growing Guides

#2
Cpt_Krunk wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:21 pm
With the eventual legalization, I have gotten very interested in growing a few plants in my basement. Im completely lost on the process and what components I am going to need. Does anyone have a newbie friendly grow guide and/or equipment list?
Congrats on the big move
Why don’t you tell use more about what your plans are?
What size area are you using?
What type of cultivation hydro or soil?
What kinda light?HPS or LED

Re: Growing Guides

#3
Ed Rosenthal, The guru of cannabis growing.
Truth is though, (IMO) reading will only get you so far, you will still want a book/info on hand as it's almost a necessity when first learning. Nothing will beat hands on experience, this is where you will actually get to see if you can be Mother Nature when growing indoors, outdoors you really only have thieves and animals to worry about.

As easy as it is to grow Marijuana, it's also as easy to have problems, some first time growers get mites and or other insects/disease problems, and that can destroy a crop if not detected and taken care of.
As for equipment, today there is a mass amount of lighting and grow mediums that can be used, and grow tents are also highly recommended or a dedicated room where you can control temps and humidity and be Mother Nature.
L.E.D. has come a long way since they were first introduced to growing, and HPS/MH (High Pressure Sodium/Metal Halide) H.I.D. has come down in price, each have their pros/cons.
For growing mediums there are several choices as well, soil, organic, hydroponics, and different was to set them up from single plant pots to one pot for multiple plants.
You will also need some ventilation system, with fans and ducting.
Then there are nutrients that you will have to feed your plants to keep them healthy and happy.
A feeding schedule is highly recommended, as well as a log book to record everything you do / change.
One of the biggest things is how much time you will need/want to be investing, outdoors you just make sure its watered (primarily), indoors you are Mother Nature, and she don't sleep!
All these things (and A LOT MORE) will be a major factor in the end results, plant genetics are only one part of the equation.

Growing dope is fun and rewarding, especially when you are successful.
Good Luck!
Just a cool cat on the look for some good catnip
...I grow catnip too

Re: Growing Guides

#4
Patpare wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:22 pm
Cpt_Krunk wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:21 pm
With the eventual legalization, I have gotten very interested in growing a few plants in my basement. Im completely lost on the process and what components I am going to need. Does anyone have a newbie friendly grow guide and/or equipment list?
Congrats on the big move
Why don’t you tell use more about what your plans are?
What size area are you using?
What type of cultivation hydro or soil?
What kinda light?HPS or LED
I'm looking to grow 4 plants at first and see how that goes. I have an unfinished basement so was thinking of setting up a grow tent. I'm pretty sure I could fit 4 plants into a 4x4 tent. I've been checking them out on Amazon. The grow media and lights is what I'm mainly trying to figure out. I've been trying to research led lights but there seem to be lots out there so unsure what brand is good and how much wattage I need. I've seen between 600 and 1000 watt set ups. Also would probably be using soil until I've got a few grows under my belt and can go to something more advanced. I can't afford to blow a bunch of money on good equipment right now so I want to start collecting it bit by bit. Any suggestions on good brands and size of lights would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Growing Guides

#5
Some web sites to help
http://www.growweedeasy.com/
https://growdiaries.com/
http://growcannabis.com/
http://ww2.marijuanagrowing.com/
https://www.autoflowering-cannabis.com/

My current growing medium is 1 part Pro-Mix Mycorrhizae peat moss, 1 Part Worm Casting Compost and 1 part perlite, all available at Canadian Tire. As far as a tent, I always suggest it to be at least 6ft high, to give enough room to hang lights and exhaust fan. My LED's high 1.5ft above the canopy during flowering and 2ft during veg. Using plant training, a 5ft tent would do, but the extra height does come in handy.
Your biggest expense will be lighting and this article will give some direction https://growlightcentral.com/pages/best ... t-for-weed. If plan to buy from Amazon, I would look at LED's like Viparspectra or Mars Hydro. When looking for stuff on Amazon, head to the "Warehouse Deals" section, https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=lp_89299750 ... 1523784123 .

Re: Growing Guides

#6
Cpt_Krunk wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:00 pm
Patpare wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:22 pm
Cpt_Krunk wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:21 pm
With the eventual legalization, I have gotten very interested in growing a few plants in my basement. Im completely lost on the process and what components I am going to need. Does anyone have a newbie friendly grow guide and/or equipment list?
Congrats on the big move
Why don’t you tell use more about what your plans are?
What size area are you using?
What type of cultivation hydro or soil?
What kinda light?HPS or LED
I'm looking to grow 4 plants at first and see how that goes. I have an unfinished basement so was thinking of setting up a grow tent. I'm pretty sure I could fit 4 plants into a 4x4 tent. I've been checking them out on Amazon. The grow media and lights is what I'm mainly trying to figure out. I've been trying to research led lights but there seem to be lots out there so unsure what brand is good and how much wattage I need. I've seen between 600 and 1000 watt set ups. Also would probably be using soil until I've got a few grows under my belt and can go to something more advanced. I can't afford to blow a bunch of money on good equipment right now so I want to start collecting it bit by bit. Any suggestions on good brands and size of lights would be greatly appreciated.
Well for lighting I suggest a 600w digital Hps ballast .
The one I use is the ACE dimable ballast 600w,so I can dim my bulb from 100%down to either 75% or 50% and that makes it perfect for a 4x4 tent. You can also use either MH or HPS bulbs.
In the picture I’m using a HPS 600w at 75%
Attachments
01F62029-8CC8-4CFA-959E-59E24201BF21.jpeg
01F62029-8CC8-4CFA-959E-59E24201BF21.jpeg (3.6 MiB) Viewed 2410 times

Re: Growing Guides

#7
Patpare wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 1:50 pm
Cpt_Krunk wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:00 pm
Patpare wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:22 pm


Congrats on the big move
Why don’t you tell use more about what your plans are?
What size area are you using?
What type of cultivation hydro or soil?
What kinda light?HPS or LED
I'm looking to grow 4 plants at first and see how that goes. I have an unfinished basement so was thinking of setting up a grow tent. I'm pretty sure I could fit 4 plants into a 4x4 tent. I've been checking them out on Amazon. The grow media and lights is what I'm mainly trying to figure out. I've been trying to research led lights but there seem to be lots out there so unsure what brand is good and how much wattage I need. I've seen between 600 and 1000 watt set ups. Also would probably be using soil until I've got a few grows under my belt and can go to something more advanced. I can't afford to blow a bunch of money on good equipment right now so I want to start collecting it bit by bit. Any suggestions on good brands and size of lights would be greatly appreciated.
Well for lighting I suggest a 600w digital Hps ballast .
The one I use is the ACE dimable ballast 600w,so I can dim my bulb from 100%down to either 75% or 50% and that makes it perfect for a 4x4 tent. You can also use either MH or HPS bulbs.
In the picture I’m using a HPS 600w at 75%
It seems to be a good result. Thanks for your sharing the experience. I will test this out.

Re: Growing Guides

#8
I will tell you you have to have patience. It’s easy to grow something ,but I’ve found it’s hard to get really good quality out of grow your own. I’ve been trying the last two seasons and this year is the first time I have some That I’m really proud of and doesn’t smell like homegrown. If you are use to professional grown stuff it will take you a while to grow that quality. I use a led system and my power bill has hardly changed. I grew some auto blueberry that wasn’t blueberry. I had some really tight crystal covered buds but it smells like home growni only got 54g . I finished off a outside plant with the led and it turned out so go it’s the best I’ve ever had. Tasted and smelled better that store bought, 40g out of it and almost 2 months to finish flowering. . It’s trial and error and things can go wrong. Unless you have a good filter too it will stink up your entire house. I do mine outside in a shed. I don’t use a filter and I can smell mine from 30 feet away.

Re: Growing Guides

#9
spmor wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:27 am
Some web sites to help
http://www.growweedeasy.com/
https://growdiaries.com/
http://growcannabis.com/
http://ww2.marijuanagrowing.com/
https://www.autoflowering-cannabis.com/

My current growing medium is 1 part Pro-Mix Mycorrhizae peat moss, 1 Part Worm Casting Compost and 1 part perlite, all available at Canadian Tire. As far as a tent, I always suggest it to be at least 6ft high, to give enough room to hang lights and exhaust fan. My LED's high 1.5ft above the canopy during flowering and 2ft during veg. Using plant training, a 5ft tent would do, but the extra height does come in handy.
Your biggest expense will be lighting and this article will give some direction https://growlightcentral.com/pages/best ... t-for-weed. If plan to buy from Amazon, I would look at LED's like Viparspectra or Mars Hydro. When looking for stuff on Amazon, head to the "Warehouse Deals" section, https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=lp_89299750 ... 1523784123 .

I've checked out growdiaries

They have a lot of great and resourceful information that all could use =P

Re: Growing Guides

#10
spmor wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:27 am
Some web sites to help
http://420expertguide.com/
https://growdiaries.com/
http://growcannabis.com/
http://ww2.marijuanagrowing.com/
https://www.autoflowering-cannabis.com/

My current growing medium is 1 part Pro-Mix Mycorrhizae peat moss, 1 Part Worm Casting Compost and 1 part perlite, all available at Canadian Tire. As far as a tent, I always suggest it to be at least 6ft high, to give enough room to hang lights and exhaust fan. My LED's high 1.5ft above the canopy during flowering and 2ft during veg. Using plant training, a 5ft tent would do, but the extra height does come in handy.
Your biggest expense will be lighting and this article will give some direction https://growlightcentral.com/pages/best ... t-for-weed. If plan to buy from Amazon, I would look at LED's like Viparspectra or Mars Hydro. When looking for stuff on Amazon, head to the "Warehouse Deals" section, https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=lp_89299750 ... 1523784123 .
Thanks buddy. THis guides helped me a lot.
Pretty good information.

Re: Growing Guides

#11
Never tried LED bulb so I really dont know. The ACE Digital would always break on me, I started using Gavitas for the last 3 runs and tbh they work great. Its a bit on the pricier side but it comes with the ballest, shade and bulb and I never have to raise/lower it. Pro mix for soil or Coco coir from royal gold is good but I find royal gold is the best out of all the brands as coco.